Pages

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

When that day comes that you have been dreading


This was last month.

It happened last week.  On Thursday, it wasn't avoidable any longer.  Mothers dread the day and know it is coming nonetheless.

The day their child gets hurt and bleeds for the first time.

Esther was crawling and the blanket slipped under her.  She hit the floor face first and busted her top lip.  The cry I heard said she was terrified and hurting.  It broke my heart.  I scooped her up and hugged her and told her I loved her and kissed her.  I also got a teether out of the fridge for her hold so it would numb her lip.  It worked enough for her to nurse and go to sleep for her nap.

We want to protect them but also know they have to learn to do things on their own in their own way.  It is so hard for us to step back sometimes but it is necessary for them to learn.  It doesn't make it any easier when they get hurt though.  Somehow I don't think it ever will be easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment